The best off-road gas cans are safe and tested to hold flammable materials. So you do not have to worry about leaks or spills when refueling your tank. It will also not leave a trail of wasted gasoline on the highway.
And you can be sure that you’ll have fuel ready anytime you run out. But at the same time, it will not be a threat to your safety and health.
We’re going to list down the best brands, as well as what factors to consider when buying one.
You may also like: Best RV Battery for Boondocking
Our Top 10 Picks for the Best Off-Road Gas Cans: A Product Review
- Wavian USA JC0020BVS– is CARB & ETA compliant and packed with a lot of safety features. It’s also very sturdy and can last for a lifetime.
- GARAGE BOSS GB320– this is a small capacity gas can that will give precision control over the amount of fuel you’re pouring in
- FuelPaX by RotoPaX– is our premium pick and it’s one heavy-duty gas can that you can bring for rugged roads.
- Midwest– this is the best metal gas can and doesn’t leak even under the scorching heat of the sun
- Go Plus– this is a heavy-duty gas can packed with safety features
|Gas can brand||Material||Capacity||Dimensions||Features||Shops|
|Wavian USA JC0020BVS||Military Grade Rust Proof Steel ( 0.9mm cold rolled steel)||5.3 gallons||20”x 15”x 8”||EPA and CARB compliant jerry can, leak proof, safety lock on spout, anti-corrosive coating on inside and outside, bayonet style quick release nozzle.||Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|GARAGE BOSS GB320||plastic||2 gallons||9.5 “ x 7” x 10”||EPA and CARB compliant, also available in a 5 gallon, translucent spout extension, plug for spout replacement||Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|FuelPaX by RotoPaX||Plastic||4.5 gallons||27-1/2″ x 14″ x 4-1/2″||USA made plastic jerry can, 1 year leak-free and hassle-free warranty|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|Midwest||Steel material||5 gallons||14” x 7” x 19”||spill-proof spout. Auto grade gloss paint finish, jerry can style, all steel construction, built-in air bleed tube, protective cap|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|Go Plus||Premium Steel material||5 gallons||14.5″ X 6.5″ X 18″||Jerry fuel can, flexible spout, safety lock on spout, EPA and CARB Approved and explosion proof test passed|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|JustRite||Alloy Steel||5 gallons||8.9” x 11.7” x 10.9”||9” flexible metal hose, 2 openings, easy-to-use safe-squeeze trigger|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|Eagle galvanized||Galvanized steel construction||1 gallon||12.5” x 12.5” x 13.5”||Patented comfort grip trigger release with spring closing lid and fixed handle, red baked on powder coat finish , lead free, 100% leak tested, UL and ULC listed and FM approved, gas a flame areteer|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|WINTOOLS||Injected plastic||7.9 gallons||10.24” x 8.27” x 3.15”||Five mounting holes|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|RotoPax||Molded plastic||3 gallons||17” x 16” x 5”||molded three-layer body and easy-to-mount flat design, 10 year warranty|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
|Lovinland||Premium steel material,||5 gallons||14.17″ X 6.89″ X 18.7″||Leak proof, safety lock on spout, anti-corrosive, coating on inside and outside, Powder coated to resist rust and corrosion, neat welded seal seams, metal spout system combined with a rubber extension|| Check Latest Price|
Read Full Review
Whether you’re using your motorcycle, ATV, jeep, or car, these gas can brands will ensure you have enough fuel without compromising your safety.
01. Wavian USA JC0020BVS – Best Overall Gas Can
This European-made metal gas can is one of the few gas cans that’s EPA and CARB-compliant.
Moreover, the steel is high quality, even the nozzle is made from corrosive free material.
You also don’t have to worry about leaking or condensation. And even in the middle of scorching heat and Texas summer, this gas can will hold up pretty well.
This offroading gas can also be packed with several features so you don’t have to worry about combustion, ignition, or leaking. The cap has a very heavy-duty seal and the locking pin is a sensible safety measure.
This is a well-made gas can, extremely robust and sturdy. It can last for years. So this is also a great value for those we often embark on road trips and adventures.
- Made of high-quality steel and can last for a lifetime
- Has a lot of safety features so it will not leak, or burst into flames
- One of the few gas cans that are EPA compliant
- Can be used even under the scorching heat of the summer
- We wished the nozzle was made better, though it is EPA compliant, it fills very slowly
02. GARAGE BOSS GB320– Best Small Capacity Gas Can
This off-road gas can is very easy to use. You just press and pour and you’re on your way to your next adventure.
Some gas cans have to be twisted and opened to be able to replenish your tank. And this can take more time. Not to mention there can spill everywhere. And it is easy to open a regular gas can, especially if you’re in a hurry.
This gas boasts of a unique mechanism that enables a no-mess transfer. You can also control the flow of the fuel by how much you press the button. And you also will not have any problems or less of overflow. The spout can is translucent, so you will really see how much fuel is pouring out of the can.
- It’s easy to use, all you need to do is press and pour
- There are fewer chances of overflow since the spout is translucent, you can see how much fuel is flowing
- This makes up for a mess-free transfer
- Precise control and relatively easy to use
- The shut-off valve works well, so no spills
- This is very ideal for small machines, the spout is an ingenious action
- It is also a great pick for a UTV gas can or an ATV gas can
- Though you can control the flow of fuel by how much you press the button, using it to load bigger machines can take some time
- Some wished there was a mark that can show the 2-gallon mark
03. FuelPaX by RotoPaX– Best Premium Gas Can
When you need to have extra fuel on the road, FuelPaX by RotoPaX has you covered.
This 4.5-gallon gas can cover your fuel for several days. And what’s great about it is that it’s so easy to use and has no spills or whatsoever.
The jerry can is entirely made in the USA. So you can expect quality. This thing can last and can survive wear and tear.
This is a very tough fuel pack. You can go trekking on hills, up and down your truck, and this gas can will still be intact. It’s best for traversing along rugged terrains. You don’t have to worry about leaks and spills.
Take note that this is a heavy load. So be careful when mounting it on your truck.
- 100% made in the USA
- It’s easy to use and has no spills and leakages
- It’s quite heavy duty can traverse through rough terrains and hills
- 4.5 gallons is perfect for a week-long trekking adventure
- It has a rather slim profile, so it’s great for storage too
- You can mount it on any flat surface using the brand’s proprietary mounts, but these are sold separately
- Might not withstand the intense heat of the sun
04. Midwest– Best Metal Gas Can
If you’re going old school and prefer a traditional metal gas can, this one is to beat.
This Midwest metal gas can is made of all-steel construction. It is puncture proof so you don’t have to worry about making a mess or leaving a trail of your gasoline on the highway.
It’s a jerry can style design so it’s easy to mount. It comes with a spout that prevents spillage.
It also has a built-in air bleed tube for smooth pouring. And you can use a protective cap to seal the can when not in use.
These are heavy-duty gas cans that will not leak even if you are traveling along the Nevada desert in summer.
- It has all-steel construction and puncture-resistant
- This gas can will not leak even under the scorching heat of the summer
- It has a jerry can design that makes it easy to use
- It looks old school but it’s made more convenient
- The body of the can has lots of stickers that are not easy to remove
- We wished it had a better spout, spilled still happens
05. Go Plus– Best 5 Gallon Gas Can
This metal gas can is heavy duty and made from military-grade rolled steel.
So you can expect premium quality, it will not leak, puncture or explode. It is packed with safety features. One, the spout has a lock so spillage is avoided. Two, it is explosion resistant so you don’t even have to worry. It is also made of non-corrosive materials.
The cap has a rubber gasket to seal airtight. And it also has a safety pin so you can’t accidentally open the cap without pulling out the safety pin.
It is well constructed, but it is surprisingly lightweight for something that’s made of stainless steel. So if you find the Midwest gas can be a bit too heavy, this is a great alternative.
- It’s made of the premium type of steel yet it is lightweight than another gas can
- It is heavy duty and can last wear and tear
- This gas can is packed with safety features that prevent spillage and leakage
- The spout is easy to use and very flexible
- It is made of non-corrosive and non-explosive materials
- The weld section is a bit bulky
- Doesn’t fit the jerry can holder
06. JustRite– Best User Friendly Gas Can
If you’re looking for a metal gas can that’s easier to use, you can’t go wrong with JustRite.
It is easy to use! It’s equipped with features that even those who do not like fueling their tank during trios will not mind anymore. One, it has a very unique safe squeeze trigger handle. It’s nice on the hands and quite ergonomic. This helps you control the amount of fuel you’re pouring.
Two, it has two openings, open for filing and one for pouring. And then, it has a flame arrester that will prevent ignition. So you’ll also have peace of mind when traveling.
The can is also made from galvanized steel with a powder coat finish. So this is long-lasting and will not easily corrode or rust. So you can use this can for many years to come.
- It’s very easy to use, even beginners will not mind
- It is made of high-quality steel with powder coating, it can last for generations
- It has safety features that prevent sudden ignition and combustion
- It is color-coded for added safety
- The handle is very ergonomic and easy to grasp
- The hose is flexible and makes up for a non-spill transfer
- Product can’t be returned even if not used
- Even if it’s a 5-gallon gas can, it must be filled up until 4.5 gallons only to avoid spill
07. Eagle Galvanized– Best Value for your Money Gas Can
This small capacity gas can is affordable, easy to use, and has a lot of safety features.
Thus, you can get real value for your money.
The tank itself is made of lead-free galvanized steel. So it’s free from chemicals but it is rather heavy-duty and can last a long time. Two, the design of the can makes it very easy to use. No spills and leaks.
And three, it is very resilient and can hold temperature changes. It will not swell even under the heat of the sun.
- It has an affordable price tag
- It is very resilient to weather changes, will not cause swelling
- It is color codes for additional safety
- Made of lead-free steel material
- The design makes it easy to use
- Small capacity only, however, this is also available in 5-gallon model
08. WINTOOLS– Best Jeep Gas Can
If you’re looking for a 7-gallon gas tank that you can easily mount at the back of your jeep, this is a great choice.
WINTOOLS is made of durable plastic material with 5 or more mounting holes. The can is also pretty durable and tightly sealed so you don’t have to worry about leaks or spillage.
So with more mounting holes, it gives you the liberty to mount the gas can in whichever way your keep allows you to.
It’s also impact resistant and the gas can is pretty lightweight too.
- It has more mounting holes so you have the option on how to mount it
- This plastic gas can is impact resistant
- The cap is durable and is sealed tightly
- It is lightweight and easy to carry
- Not resistant to heat since it’s made of plastic
09. RotoPaX – Best Generic Overland Gas Can
RotoPax has a nice weight and feel, making it a universal choice.
As they say, if you just need a basic gas can, you can never go wrong with a Rotopax gas can. This has been a household name for years.
It’s a simple, fuss-free, easy-to-use molded plastic gas can. Still, it is pretty durable for a plastic gas can and can travel up hilly roads rather well.
And we also love the very generous warranty of 10 years. Not a lot of gas can brands offer such a long warranty. So you’re sure that you are getting one of the best brands. Who would put their money on something that’s bound to deteriorate in a few years? No one!
So the warranty of a product can also be a telltale sign of how good it is. And this brand also has lots of nice reviews.
- It’s very easy to use, a fuss-free
- The gas can is relatively durable, it will not leak even on bumpy roads
- Offers a generous warranty
- As with all plastic gas cans, this can’t stand high heat
10. Lovinland– Best Overland Gas Can with a Universal Fit
This Lovinland gas can is compatible with almost any vehicle.
And it’s also durable and heavy-duty. It is made of steel. The spout system is also a combination of steel and rubber material. This makes filling up gas very easy and spill-free.
And though it has a high capacity, it has a slim profile and is quite lightweight. So it’s easy to store and will not take up much space.
- Has a large capacity but is quite lightweight
- Made of durable steel material but it has a slimmer profile so it’s easy to store
- It has an affordable price tag
- Compatible with almost any type of vehicle
- The nozzle is not 100 percent leakproof
What To Look for When Buying the Best Off-Road Gas Can: Buying Guide
If you need a gas can for your jeep, ATV, UTV, or car, you need one that’s best for offroading.
While we have listed the best above, here are several tips on how to make the proper choice.
Are metal or plastic cans better?
You first have to know the difference between the two,
Metal gas cans are more durable. They can also withstand heat and the summer better. But most gas cans are heavier than plastic. They also cost more than plastic gas cans.
Plastic gas cans, on the other hand, are less durable than metal. And most cannot stand extreme heat. But plastic gas cans also have a cheaper price.
Though plastic may seem an inferior choice, it is a fighting choice if you need something affordable and easier to carry. We do have durable plastic gas cans that are still a great value for your money.
How much fuel can the gas can hold?
This should also be relative to how long you’ll be on the road. If you will be out longer, then you need a 5-gallon gas can or more. While a 1-2 gallon gas can suffice for 1-2 days of road-tripping.
What is the vehicle that you’re using?
Are you fueling a motorcycle, ATV, or a jeep? A larger vehicle will need a gas can with a larger capacity. At the same time, smaller capacity gas cans may have a spout that flows slowly. So if you use a small capacity gas can to fuel a bigger vehicle, then it can take you hours.
Color of the can:
The color of the gas can often correspond to the type of fuel it can hold. Red is for gasoline, blue is for kerosene, and yellow is for diesel.
What Safety Features Should You Consider?
Never buy a gas tank that does not have ample safety features. These features will ensure that the gas can will not explode or leak at any time while you’re traveling.
- Meet regulations of EPA and DOT
- Containers must be recognized by a lab
- Must have a spring-loaded cap, pressure release vents, and a flame arrestor
What are the Advantages of a Gas Can
When you ran out of fuel and there was no gas station in sight, you wished you had brought a gas can along!
So let’s see what are the benefits of a gas can.
Gas cans are ready to use:
Our top picks are also very easy to use. You only need your two hands to be able to refuel your tank.
And you can be assured that you’ll never run out of fuel. Especially when you’re going off-road, you’re not sure when the next gasoline station will be right? Google maps might not always be updated?
Gas cans are versatile:
If you were not able to use your gas can during your off-road trip, you can keep it somewhere well ventilated. And then you can have it handy next time you travel, or when your lawnmower needs fuel. It’s versatile and can be used for an array of applications.
Safety Tips When Using a Gas Can
Since you’re dealing with flammable materials still, here are some important tips to remember.
- To prevent a buildup of electricity, keep the nozzle intact with the container
- When refueling, do it away from your car, also place the container on a ground surface
- To prevent static electricity, touch the container with the gas dispenser nozzle before removing the container lid
Is it really safe to drive with a gas can on your vehicle?
Yes, but it’s not recommended to take it for a longer amount of time. It can expose you to toxic fumes. Also, ensure that you’re using a gas can with ample safety features. This lessens the risks of accidents.
How do you store a gas can at home?
It’s best stored in a well-ventilated place. But at the same time, it should also be shielded from the sun and extreme temperatures. Keep it away from your house to avoid fire accidents.
How do you clean a gas can?
Use warm soapy water and fill the inside of the tank. Vigorously shake the can to clean the inside, then flush it with water. Make sure to clean the gas can outside in a well-ventilated area.
Make Sure You Have Extra Fuel Before you Hit the Road
The best off-road gas cans are one of your essentials when traveling. It ensures that you always have extra fuel. So when you run out, you will not scour in search of the next gas station.
And our top picks are some of the safest and more convenient gas cans. These are equipped with more safety features that will ensure you have nothing but fun and happy memories on your trip.